Do you want to contribute to a more inclusive society and have a positive impact on the lives of newcomers in the Netherlands, by using meaningful tech solutions? Do you have a strong eye for detail and a drive to get things done? Do you enjoy building systems from scratch and enjoy contributing to the financial health of a start-up? Are you motivated to ensure the best possible compliance, timely reporting and risk-mitigation? And do you want to be part of a dynamic and diverse team with a great social heart, located in the heart of Amsterdam (but with a flexible and hybrid working policy)? Keep reading!
What is Welcome app?
Imagine: you’re trying to build a new life in a foreign country – from scratch. Where do you start? Information may not be easily accessible and meaningful connections and a support network take time to build. Language may be an obstacle. Many newcomers to the Netherlands face this challenge, and W! is there to make things easier. We work every day to make relevant information, activities, services and local organizations easily accessible in one place: Welcome app. This way, we support newcomers to navigate their way in the Netherlands. We do this by working together with many different parties: municipalities, companies and other (social) organizations.
W! is currently working on behalf of four municipalities: Almere, Dordrecht, Leiden and Venlo. Our goal is to grow to 65 Dutch municipalities in the coming three years by building a sustainable social enterprise business model and scaling our impact. We also have international ambitions. Our dynamic team consists of ambitious professionals who are committed to a more inclusive world.
We recently switched and rebuilt our entire platform – including the mobile app- on low-code platform Mendix, which allows us to build and test much faster, so we can respond more quickly to changing circumstances and priorities of our customers and the ecosystem at large.
Who are we looking for?
As our new Fin-admin officer you play a crucial role in ensuring sound and accurate financial-administrative management practices at W! You are directly responsible for implementing our mission by driving best practices in finance, administration and human resources management within the organization to maximize efficiency and growth. To succeed in this role we expect you to be analytical, organised and structured with an eye for detail. You have the ability to work independently and to take initiative. You enjoy constantly planning and re-planning, predicting and solving upcoming problems to reach deadlines, and you love facilitating team collaboration to make sure things get delivered on time. You will be dealing with confidential and sensitive information and it is important that you are able to handle it with integrity and responsibility.
What will you be doing?
- Financial and administrative management: You are responsible for the overall day-to-day finance function. Specific tasks include:
- Ensure efficient and compliant financial monitoring and reporting
- Prepare the annual budget in consultation with the CEO; oversee monthly updating of P&L, liquidity planning and project burn rates; proactively signaling potential risks and deviations and advising on course of action
- Prepare ad-hoc financial reports for specific projects or at the request of the Board or investors
- Prepare invoices for clients and resolve any billing issues
- Keep track of accounts payable and accounts receivable
- Focal point with external entities such as bookkeeping company, auditors and tax authorities, etc
- Monitor the performance of the financial assets
- Make sure tax reporting obligations are fulfilled in a timely manner.
- Finance function development: You will work closely with the external bookkeeping company, the CEO and Head of Operations to build out best practices and strengthen the finance function. This includes developing and implementing procedures for handling finances and accounting, reviewing accounting discrepancies and recommending corrective actions;
- Advisory: Whether it’s taxes, accounting, HR-related queries that have a financial implication: you are proactive about signaling areas that need clarifications and function as a channel between our external services providers (payroll administration, accounting service provider) to find answers to strategic financial management questions, or answer ad-hoc questions from individual employees.
What are we looking for?
- Experience in a financial administrative support role
- Strong eye for detail, ownership and drive to ‘sweat the details’ to ensure high level of accuracy
- Advanced knowledge of accounting, using Excel and financial management systems and tools
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work with diverse team members and stakeholders
- Willingness to pick up the trash, pull up your sleeves and invest in your financial management skills in order to be able support the further strengthening of the finance function as needed
- Excellent English language skills. Dutch language skills (B1 level) are a very strong bonus
- Nice to have: Lived experience with displacement or migration
What we offer:
- Start date: January 2024.
- A part-time position 8-12 hrs/week (more is possible) full-time salary up to €3800 gross/month depending on experience and contracting modality: freelance/payroll option depending on preference)
- Mobility budget
- Time, support and space to develop professionally and personally
- Free lunch at our beautiful and centrally located office in Amsterdam.
- A warm bath: our team feels more like family than colleagues.
- Flexible, hybrid and remote working policies
Does this role have your name on it? Send your CV and motivation statement to email@example.com. We are accepting applications on a rolling basis. Responses without a motivation statement will not be considered.